“So long everybody,” says Barrie Golding

By Barrie Golding

Good news everybody! I don’t need to lug around the oxygen tank anymore.

The bad news isbarrie-golding I’m not breathing.

As of the 15th day of May in the year 2014, Buda is gone.

That’s what it says on my death certificate anyway . . . it should say that. I don’t know. I didn’t double-check it. I was kind of busy being dead.

I hope that I’m dead, considering what is being done to me. By far it is the worst abuse that my body has suffered.

And, boy, did I ever abuse it. I guess it all started when I was about 10 and my father warned me that I would go blind if I didn’t stop. Sure enough, I pushed my luck (or pulled it?) until I needed to wear thick glasses.

Life has been good to me. I have only one regret — being dead.

All-in-all, though, it’s been a wonderful ride.

Riding along with me and putting up with my crap for the last 52 years was Maggie who has made our bed every single day of our marriage. For that and many other great things as a wife, mother and grandmother, I thank you.

To my kids, Jackie, Russell and Erica, I leave an equal amount of debt.

My grandchildren, Russell Jr., Haley, Briley and Brooklyn — you are God’s reward to me for not having murdered your parents.

I have been a volunteer (or is it voluntold) with many organizations, including the hospital board, figure skating, Friendship Trail, Winterfest, and for the past many years, the Credit Union family. I have enjoyed the opportunity to serve . . . most of the time.

Friends of Buda are invited to join the family to help clear out my booze cupboard at Bridgewater Country Club on Wednesday, May 21 at 2 p.m.

So long everybody. I will remember you all for the rest of my death.

(Mr. Golding arranged to publish this obituary some time ago.)

1. Cathy Martin | May 15, 2014 | Reply

Wow – this is amazing – I am crying and laughing at the same time. This is a man who will light up heaven – say hi to my dad Mr. Golding – he will love your sense of humor.

2. Anne Kyle | May 15, 2014 | Reply

Thinking of you, Maggie and family

Will miss seeing Barrie when I am at FEGC

Anne Kyle
    (Wendy’s sister)

3. Marie Frerotte Alexander | May 15, 2014 | Reply

Condolences to Maggie and family. I know Barrie will be missed by all who knew him.

4. Chrissy Trombley | May 15, 2014 | Reply

Barrie, you were one of the worlds brightest smart asses. Not surprised that you wrote this to ease the pain of all of us whose lives you touched. Rest in Peace and visit often.

5. Linda Brady | May 15, 2014 | Reply

Thinking of all of you at this time.

6. Todd Doan | May 15, 2014 | Reply

Only met you a few times Barrie, but you always knew who I was and took the time to say “hi”. RIP “cheese cake fairy”. You will be missed by all who knew you!

7. Bill & Patti Carpenter | May 16, 2014 | Reply

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. He was one of a kind!

8. marion | May 16, 2014 | Reply

To the Golding Family our thougts and prayers are with you today ,Buda was a great man. thinking of u all Marion ,Boomer ,Dean and Lance

9. Barb Minor | May 16, 2014 | Reply

We will sure miss you at Tammy’s. We won’t be the same without you. Thinking of you Maggie and your family.

10. Bill & Patti Carpenter | May 16, 2014 | Reply

Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you at this time. Barrie, You were one of a kind!

11. Vicki Barrick | May 16, 2014 | Reply

This is classic!! He still has us laughing hysterically even after he is gone!!

12. Carol Ann Woodland | May 16, 2014 | Reply

Hard to believe you’re actually gone. So used to seeing you around Fort Erie & Stevensville since we moved here. You were such an important & memorable part of our figure skating world. You will be truly missed. Always had the best sense of humour. My thoughts & prayers are with your family at this time.

13. Cathy Green-Redekop and Wayne Redekop | May 16, 2014 | Reply

Thanks Barrie for all the contributions you have made to our community over the years. Our condolences to your family.

14. Cheryl,Jim and Bridget Laur | May 16, 2014 | Reply

We cannot begin to express how sorry we are to have all lost such a wonderful man…a more generous soul is not found anywhere….
    Our love and prayers are with you now and always!!
    Cher

15. Sandra and Frank Flake | May 16, 2014 | Reply

We send our condolences to Maggie and your entire family. Barrie will be truly missed by all. He touched so many, in so many positive ways.

16. Jen Pellegrini | May 16, 2014 | Reply

So sorry to hear about Barrie. He was one of the first people I met when I came to Fort Erie and was always a friendly face when I’d see him around town. Rest in peace, Barrie. You’ve earned it.

17. nick | May 16, 2014 | Reply

Have a happy day Barry. You will be missed.

18. Sharon Buttigieg | May 16, 2014 | Reply

Our prayers are with you in your time or sorrow. He was a great man, wonderful husband, great father and grandfather.

19. Dave Holmes | May 17, 2014 | Reply

Uggg… remembering you getting up on stage with our band “off the wall” and fixing computers in exchange for some sweets. You will be missed.

20. N.M. | May 17, 2014 | Reply

A man of inconceivable generosity, intense wit, and uniquely crafted humor- the world lost one of its absolute finest again on May 15th. There isn’t time or room here to describe who you are or what you did for us, but you know Buda. If we in life can be half the man you were, we’ll see you again.

21. nancy valliquette | May 17, 2014 | Reply

Sincere condolences to the entire Golding family – such fun memories from our figure skating competitions – say hi to Lloydie for me – I see trouble in paradise when those boys get together

22. Addy McNeil | May 17, 2014 | Reply

I can hear your voice saying this. You have always been the wittiest man I know.
    We will take care of your Maggie. God speed. xoxo

23. Michel (Mike) Codere | May 18, 2014 | Reply

What a great man involved in my career – On paper he was my boss, in reality he was an absolute great team person and friend to me.

He was so strong and friendly we felt good being with him. Whenever I would tell my wife that this week I am seeing Barrie, she knew how happy I was.

I did have the great chance to meet Barrie’s great family, Maggie, Jackie, Russel, Erica.

Pauline and I would like to offer you our sincere condolences

24. Barbara Leyland | May 18, 2014 | Reply

Good bye Barrie We will miss you, your great sense of humour and all you brought to our humble community

You were always a good friend to me
    My heart and condolences go out to you Maggie and family

25. Chris and Janet Young | May 20, 2014 | Reply

A truly great friend and a very special person. Barrie will be missed by everyone who knew him. Our sincere condolences to Maggie and all the family.

26. Sharon LaPier | May 20, 2014 | Reply

goodbye to one of the best. Barry had a heart as big as all outdoors and a humour that just never quit. I enjoyed every minute of our friendship. Many is the pound I can thank Barry for with his luscious cakes and treats and many the tears of laughter . All my love Maggie and kids and precious grandbabies.
    Heaven is much richer today.
    love Sharon

27. Karolyn LaPier | May 20, 2014 | Reply

my love to you Maggie.
    Fond memories of my time with your family.
    Barry treated me like one of his own and I will never forget that.
    Karolyn

28. Pat LeBlanc | May 20, 2014 | Reply

Maggie, my most sincere sympathy to you and your family. Memories of Barry will always be filled with humour and originality. The fun he gave us all at competitions has never been equalled. Hoping his rest now replaces the last not so good times.

29. Debbie Clarke | May 20, 2014 | Reply

I was thinking about you Maggie just last week. Barry will be missed by your figure skating family. I also have to thank Barry for a few pounds. It has been a rough year for Western Ontario losing two amazing men. I am sure that Clare and Barry are up there having a good time with their stories.

It is just like Barry to write his own obituary and from what I read he is in a much better place.

Love Debbie

30. Marianne LaPier-Gignac | May 21, 2014 | Reply

Barry was always a cut up, so this is the perfect send off for himself. Maggie, I will always treasure Barry and his wonderful humour (and the yummy cakes he used to bring us) I hope that your grandchildren will have the same wonderful love of life as their grandpa. Hugs to everyone. Barry and Daddy will have lots of laughs in Heaven. Cake for everyone!