Noyes captures iguana vote

Noyes brochure for iguanasIt seems that a priority of Ann-Marie Noyes is the care and feeding of pet iguanas, judging by the measures she’s going to put in place as mayor to “get the job done.”

Click on the picture to enlarge it. Visit the Green Iguana Society website if you like. And remember to be kind to your reptilian friends.

The source is a campaign brochure that was received in mailboxes this week. On the left is the reverse side of the large two-sided card from the Noyes campaign that shows a metric conversion chart for volumes and temperatures with some notable points of reference. On the right is a screen capture of the website of the Green Iguana Society, also showing a metric conversion chart with notable references.

Front side of Noyes brochure

Brochure front

If you’re familiar with conversion charts — as I’m sure every Canadian is — you’ll remember some old standbys. Water freezes at 0 Celsius, which is 32 in the old Fahrenheit scale, and water boils at 100C or 212F. The average room temperature is 21.1C.

But did you know also that the “temperature needed to properly digest food” is 29.4 Celsius? Or that the “minimum recommended habitat temperature” is 26.7?

Neither did I.

Ann-Marie is an occupational therapist by trade so she must know something about digestion and habitat, I thought. So it must be the temperature of the food we eat that needs to be 85 degrees F to properly digest. And then I thought to myself again, maybe 80 degrees F is the temperature when you’re cuddled up nice and warm in your blanket. It was plausible, I thought.

"Which way to the splashpad?"

Thanks to the volunteers of the Green Iguana Society, I learned that these environmental specifications are for pet iguanas, not people. Iguanas. You know, tropical lizards.

One would think that a candidate would seek favour from horses, dogs and cats to make headway into the all-important animal demographic, but who am I to say?

Be that as it may, it looks like Noyes has nailed down support from iguanas.

1. Buck | Oct 16, 2010 | Reply

And this is the person some people think has what it takes to represent us with higher levels of government????? FFS–what a joke.

2. Shawn | Oct 16, 2010 | Reply

Sloppy Sloppy Sloppy. How many more examples are needed? To actually distribute something, without fact checking, and re-reading and all teh checks and balances, what is the message on American TV for politicians? My name is so and so and I approved this message. I shudder to think at how unprofessional this would look if she was in office. Fort Erie would quickly become a joke. Unless it is her plan to repopulate Fort Erie with Iguanas as the people will have to leave for jobs and better governement.

3. Fred | Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Hay are you being selective of Home you are posting comments from or what?

4. Mike Cloutier | Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Anonymous comments are subject to rejection at my discretion. Signed comments that defame individuals are also subject to rejection at my discretion. Comments that are not relevant to the story are subject to rejection at my discretion. For more information, see the Comments page.

5. Fred | Oct 17, 2010 | Reply

Hay folk – http://www.niagararegion.ca/government/budget-taxes/prop-tax-calculator.aspx

[Note: Additional to the Comments Policy, comments with more than one link are diverted straight to the spam can, such as this was. MC]

6. Toad | Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

The inclusion of the information taken from the Green Iguana Society’s literature on Ann-Marie’s campaign flyer presents more than her concern for these lizards.

Two years ago, Councillor Noyes went on a tirate during council accusing Councillor Sandy Annunziata of plagiarism in his presentation to council with respect protocol for the BIA’s.

Councillor Noyes said:

“I have a major problem with taking someone else’s published work and putting a name to it that, No. 1, didn’t craft it and didn’t author it, but changed a few words here and there,”

Foot meet mouth …… or in the words of one of her associates ….. ” Karma is a bitch”

Excerpts from Niagara Fall Review article: http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?archive=true&e=767308

7. Mike Cloutier | Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I wouldn’t classify this as plagiarism. That’s not the issue. The issue is on a temperature range from 0F to 212F there are five reference points: water freezes, water boils, and room temperature, plus two references for the care and feeding of iguanas.

Please tell me what the proper temperature to digest food and the minimum recommended habitat temperature for iguanas have to do with Fort Erie. Or being mayor of Fort Erie. This is out of touch.

How about the recommended habitat temperature for Fowlers’s toad, or the temperature they need to digest food, or how about human body temperature, or ideal beach temperature, or average temperature in Fort Erie in July or February, or the temperature of the lake when they put in the ice boom (4C), or optimal refrigerator temperature, or something, anything useful for people of Fort Erie.

I could have gone my whole life not knowing, not caring what the temperature should be for an iguana.

Also look at the currency conversion formula — it suggests an exchange rate of 67 cents. That is so 2002. We’ve basically been par with the US since 2008.

Something like this on a brochure is not a big deal by itself, but this is an example of the type of stuff she brings to council — trivial, irrelevant and not researched.

8. Rob | Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

As always Mike, you never fail to impress me with your journalistic skills. This is very relevant to the election in the fact that it is a sign of things to come if Noyes becomes mayor.

9. Bill | Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

I also have my concerns, do not think it is a big deal either, but does appear unprofessional and tacky. I realize this is probably cost control related, but would that space not be better used for important information such as some of the positive things that have been completed on council while she has been there.
    My personal opinion is cost control is important to me also, and I get upset when council spend time simply bickering or a member is not prepared and just wants to talk without knowledge on the topic for the purpose of attention. Our tax dollars also go to them, please use our council time more wisely than the space in this campaign brochure.

10. Toad | Oct 18, 2010 | Reply

With all due respect Mike, I question your dismissal of the information printed on Councillor Ann-Marie Noyes flyer used in her Mayoral campaign as being non-plagiaristic.

Did she divulge the source of the information copied (stolen)? Did she credit the association for compiling the information? Did she in any way, shape or form acknowledge the individuals or association involved that went through the experimentation to determine the logistics that she presented on HER behalf.

The answer is a resounding NO !!!!

Not unlike the accusations she had made 2 years prior.

In as much as I can appreciate the comedic value in her flyer, one has to question ……

Did she not even look at these flyers and ask ” What is this all about?”

Did her campaign manager even entertain the same question.

Certainly, there is somebody out there that supplied the information knowing very well that the references on the chart were reflective of the well being of Iguanas.

To me, this is reflective of the innacurate sources of information that the councillor has based her past four years on. People that surround her are making a laughing stock out of her, and she doesn’t have the smarts to realize it.

And she wants to run our town.

Think about it ……

11. Mike Cloutier | Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

Well, maybe if you want to take a giant stretch, you can call it that. Faced with a blank 8.5 x 7 inch piece of paper on the back of her “Dear residents” letter, she reached for something to fill in the white space. Does it exemplify Noyes as I have witnessed for more than six years straight? Yes, yes it does. Totally. 100 per cent.

12. Toad | Oct 19, 2010 | Reply

She should have put a list of important phone numbers on the back, like 911, and poison control, etc.

Heck, she could have even put on a veterinarian’s phone number incase your Iguana got sick ……LOL.

But in truth, this whole issue, and the idiocy that it presents, falls on the shoulders of the candidate.