Firefighters battle Christmas Eve fire

Fire on the Niagara Parkway in Fort Erie Christmas Eve.

Smoke billows from a home at 1625 Niagara Boulevard as firefighters from six stations fought the blaze on Christmas Eve. There were no injuries reported.

Fort Erie firefighters are battling a serious Christmas Eve blaze at a home on the Niagara Boulevard near Thompson Road.

Christmas Eve fire on Niagara Boulevard in Fort Erie

Fort Erie firefighters battled a major house fire late in the afternoon and evening on Christmas Eve. The fire was knocked down by 5:40 p.m. but crews will be on scene for several hours.

Firefighters sent inside the burning home have been ordered out to “go on defensive.”

Personnel from all six of the town’s stations are on scene and the regional support unit has been dispatched.

They received the call at approximately 3:25 p.m. and first responders described “heavy black smoke” coming from the house.

Smoke is so heavy that the dispatch centre is receiving calls from other locations.

The homeowner says it may have started in a sauna and called 911 when smoke began filling the house.

1. Chris | Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

What a terribly sad and devastating loss to this family.

2. donato | Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

i saw it from the american side.i have pics i could send of the fire from my viewpoint.my wife lives on the american side on the river.so it was so bad Americans were stopping viewing this fire with concern,On Niagara street Riverside.I was concerned that this fire(which i could see flames from across the border would take casualties.I THANK GOD.that i just read no injuries were reported.And to many Americans who stopped and were concerned in my book was a story to tell as i viewed it for myself.I Thank all firefighters who fought that blaze(Massive) and i now know all is unwrapping gifts with family.(I THINK ,BUT ALL SAFE I NOW KNOW)

3. donato | Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

I have pics ill send seen from USA

4. david sherman | Dec 25, 2010 | Reply

Can you forward any or your photos to me for possible publication?
    dsherman@beenews.com

5. peter | Dec 27, 2010 | Reply

i was on the scene as my family was driving on the niagara parkway.. im a photographer and i got lots of pics taken right at the scene, even a few videos. such a devastating and a sad loss to the family. i prayed for that nobody is hurt and everything is under control.

6. Anonymous | Jan 14, 2011 | Reply