Clarification: Carlyn not part of Hill campaign

Marcia Carlyn was not part of John Hill’s election campaign team. Her efforts in the election were independent.

Statements on The Ridgeway Herald website and in the print edition suggest that she was formally part of his campaign team. That is a false inference.

Mike Cloutier

1. Sarah | Mar 8, 2011 | Reply

Mike,

I have a couple of questions.

When will the list of donations for each candidates campaign be available to the public and will you be publishing that information?

I would not be surprised if some of the councillors don’t make it through their term. What is the procedure as to who replaces them on council?

2. Mike Cloutier | Mar 8, 2011 | Reply

Candidates are required to submit their financial statements by March 25.

Council chooses a new person to occupy a vacant seat. How it chooses is up to the council. In the spirit of the election, replacements are normally chosen based on who got the next largest number of votes. Council could decide also to hold a byelection. Or it could just pick someone.

3. Stan | Mar 8, 2011 | Reply

Who is John Hill? Where did he come from? What did he do? All I know is he a senior citizen on a fixed income, and he’s not related to the Hills that we all know in town.

4. Mike Cloutier | Mar 13, 2011 | Reply

Sharon Bowers wrote:

MIKE CLOUTIER PRINTS A RETRACTION/CLARIFICATION

He may call it a “clarification” but it is really a retraction. It seems that the editor of a newspaper in Ridgeway, who has received a government funds to operate, went over the line and printed inaccurate information about an American summer resident. He has spent an inordinate amount of space on his blog going after Americans, especially the community activist who has worked hard to make people aware of the development in Bay Beach, which she has a perfect right to do. It makes one wonder how Cloutier can still retain a seat on the War of 1812 Committee that has access to a great deal of money and is pledged to work with its American counterparts to make the 200th anniversary of the event a memorable experience, given his recent comments on his blog.

5. Mike Cloutier | Mar 13, 2011 | Reply

Nowhere ever did I say Marcia Carlyn was part of Hill’s campaign team. All I have ever said is that she worked hard to get him elected. John Hill felt that it meant that she was on his team. I listened to him, considered what he had to say and agreed that someone could infer that she was. I clarified the point. I cannot retract something that wasn’t written. Just goes to show you that I will listen and consider what anybody has to say and make amends where necessary. It was done prominently and quickly. It’s called responsible journalism. In fact, if anyone has a problem with something I publish, I urge you to let me know.

It’s unfortunate that with her history of being a pathological liar that she projects that demented personality trait upon others.

So Sharon has published that I am in receipt of government money to publish my newspaper. She’s going to have to prove that. And she wonders why I can sit on the 1812 committee “that has access to a great deal of money”. I guess she didn’t read the Town’s budget either.

As many of you know Sharon Bowers, you likely don’t need any recitation of the history of this foul gasbag.

Late in 1994, she avoided criminal charges of theft and fraud when she stole money from me as she represented herself as working for me to collect payments for paper sales and represented herself to advertisers as working for me when she and her similarly pathological friend started their own little thing I liked to call The Village Idiots. I still have the cheque they sent as compensation for a small part of the money they stole. It is still in the original envelop and it is unopened.

I don’t dislike Americans. I do dislike tourists who come here and tell us how we should do things. Taxes allow you to receive services. Citizenship and residency gives you a say in government. I am not alone in that sentiment. And I dislike Sharon Bowers. The fact that she’s an American citizen living in Canada is just an unfortunate coincidence.

Yup, Sharon Bowers is a real prize. A Poolitzer prize winner.

6. Stan | Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

You’ve got to expose her. She is a menace to society.

7. Patti Carver | Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

I was posed a question as to whether or not the summer residents will be able to sign the petition. If they claim residency in Fort Erie, they will be able to sign the petition. This petition is intended for Fort Erie residents. Sorry Americans! We mean no harm but we only want community involvement. If they are for or against the project, they can make their own petition. Thank you.

8. Sharon Bowers | Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

Please Mikey, scan and print the “cheque” you have from me. I would like to see it, as I don’t remember it. I do know for a fact that I stole nothing from you, unless you’re referring to the readers who enjoyed my little newspaper more than yours. And while you’re at it, you might want to apprise your readers of how you are funded. Many people who are on social assistance and unemployment have been given help to start their own businesses. Nothing wrong with that. Please bring on the charges against me. It will be interesting to see this all come out in court.

9. Mike Cloutier | Mar 14, 2011 | Reply

The cheque is much more valuable to me in the unopened envelop than it is opened and scanned and presented for your viewing pleasure. I don’t care that you would like to see it. I don’t care that you are interested in how I conduct my business.

You are a pathological liar and a thief. And I have proof.

10. Mike Cloutier | Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

Sorry Sharon, but I did not divine the contents in a mystical vision after a particularly fun-filled night at a local watering hole. I held it up to the window. Although it may have been after a fun night at the McLeod. Who knows?

11. Sarah | Mar 15, 2011 | Reply

Mike, I think you do a fantastic job and do not care how you are funded. Keep up the good work!

12. Ron Leggett | Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

If im not mistaken those Amercians that have cottages here pay taxes to so why shouldn”t they have some say.Just count the Amercian cottages around Town unless they don”t pay any mabee you know something i don”t.

13. Tomas | Mar 16, 2011 | Reply

Well Ron they may own property in this town but I think membership has its privliges and we have the right to speak our minds and influence the way this town should be run. The Americans not as much of a voice. and those from outside the town that cannot vote.

14. Chris | Mar 19, 2011 | Reply

Ron, they’re VISITORS. Nothing more. So they chose to purchase property. It doesn’t change the fact that they have no RIGHT to be here. Not voting rights either.

15. Dave | Mar 21, 2011 | Reply

Chris…I never knew we live in Communist China.. “no RIGHT to be here” They have every right to be here, that is what Canada is about. But they do not have the right to influence elections. In your mind do any immigrants have the right to be here???