Two months to the day after it was closed to contain hazardous chemicals leaking from an underground tank, Helena Street will reopen Saturday morning.
The Toronto-bound lanes of the QEW at Central Avenue are closed for a serious accident in which two people have been taken to hospital.
Both victims were ejected from a vehicle that rolled over at approximately 9 p.m.. One was taken to Erie County Medical Centre, the other to Greater Niagara General.
Toxic chemicals discovered in a ditch in early March came from a leaking underground storage tank at the former Carvern Petrochemical facility on Helena Street.
A March 31 memorandum to Regional councillors made available to the public yesterday states high levels of contamination have been found in soil samples nearby but the extent has not been determined.
Ministry of Environment will analyze the results and decide whether soil will be required to be removed, states public works commissioner Ron Tripp in the memo.
Containment efforts have been ongoing 24 hours a day to drain millions of litres of melting snow and rain from the ditch at the site.
It is not known how much of the chemicals — toluene, xylene and acetone — have escaped to the waterway of the Kraft Drain which empties into May’s Creek.
Regional staff are confident the municipal water supply from the Rosehill water plant has not been affected. continued . . .
Town council deferred to next week a decision to provide funding for horse racing operations at the Fort Erie Race Track.
On the table during the budget meeting Tuesday night was a request from the Fort Erie Live Racing Consortium for a $500,000 grant toward its many-multi-million budget to run thoroughbred racing in 2015.
Trying to make good on his election campaign position to end financial support of the racetrack, Mayor Wayne Redekop suggested a $200,000 loan be made instead. continued . . .
As of Wedenesday afternoon, there are 30 frozen water services in the Town of Fort Erie — 185 since Feb. 15.
The Town is asking water customers to be patient as crews work tirelessly to catch up while coping with frigid cold.
Staff and contractors have been “working around the clock” using rock breakers and excavators to dig through frozen ground to effect repairs, a press release states.
Water depots have been set up at the Leisureplex and Crystal Ridge arena for residents without water. They can bring containers and attendants will show them where to fill up. continued . . .
UPDATE (March 3) — Shortly after it had been stolen, the the First World War memorial from Ridgeway Public School showed up at a local recycling operation.
The 120-pound bronze plaque had been taken from the “Memorial Rock” at the front of the school on the Family Day weekend, sawn into three pieces and taken to Attar Metals in Fort Erie who refused to purchase it and notified the Town.
“They said they had found it on the Friendship Trail,” said Milton Braun of the two males — one of whom had been a customer before. “I said, well it’s obvious it doesn’t belong to you.”
The plaque was left at the recycler.
James Fidler, 37, of Fort Erie was charged March 3 with possession of property obtained by crime under $5000. He was released on a promise to appear order with a future court date. continued . . .
UPDATE — Town council approved a $500,000 commitment toward a theatre proposed to be built as part of the new high school.
A late addition to tonight’s town council agenda proposes the Town contribute $500,000 toward a theatre at the new high school and to decline the offer to build a shared library.
Under the proposal, the District School Board of Niagara also would contribute $500,000 toward the $3 million dollar theatre project.
Fundraising is proposed to make up the $2 million gap through community donations or government grants. If there is a shortfall in fundraising, both parties would make up the difference up to the $3 million construction cost, but if it’s over that amount, the DSBN pays the balance.
The theatre would be owned by the school board which would assume all operation and maintenance costs and retain revenue from rentals. The Town would be able to use it for free for special events and local community groups would get preferred rates.
The Town would hand over the money after it is built with the proposed construction starting in conjunction with the school in 2017. The proposal recommends the Town set aside $250,000 immediately and the balance in the two years to follow.
Two more exposure locations have been identified by Niagara Public Health in the measles outbreak in which five cases have been confirmed in the Region.
Boys and Girls Club of Niagara, Niagara Falls Centre on Feb. 9 from 6 to 10 p.m., and Lighthouse Church of God, 8652 Sodom Road, Chippawa on Feb. 8 between 10:30 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Two schools in Niagara Falls had previously been identified as locations where cases had been confirmed, St. Michael High School on Feb. 6-10 and Our Lady of Mount Carmel, on Feb. 9 to 10.
People born before 1970 who have not had measles and those born later who have not been immunized are vulnerable to catch and spread the disease.
If they have not been immunized, they should isolate themselves by staying at home and contact the public health unit. They can call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000/TTY: 1-866-797-0007. They should not attend any public gatherings and should not attend school, work, daycare, or any post-secondary institutions until they are cleared of measles risk.
Symptoms of measles include at least one of: fever, cough, runny nose, inflammation of the eyes or rash.
For more info, visit the Niagara Public Health measles website.
More cases expected
Five cases of measles have been confirmed in Niagara Region and all students who have not been vaccinated and who may have been exposed are required to stay out of school.
Two schools in Niagara Falls are affected as of Monday, St. Michael High School and Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Two cases from those schools were confirmed by Niagara Region Public Health Department Saturday.
Public Health confirmed Monday afternoon that the three newest cases are linked to the first case reported early this month.
Full information is available from the Public Health Department website.
“Measles is in Niagara and we expect to see more cases”, states Dr. Valerie Jaeger, Medical Officer of Health in a news release Monday afternoon.
“Therefore, what is now important isn’t really the details of each case but rather that residents take the necessary precautions of having their measles vaccination up to date”.
Measles is highly contagious and people can be exposed to it anywhere, the release states. Niagara Public Health strongly recommends people be vaccinated through their doctors, walk-in clinics and Public Health offices.
Niagara Public Health will continue to monitor the outbreak and trace contacts of infected people.
The Town of Fort Erie will start advertising to fill the position of chief administrative officer.
The decision was made Monday night after the second closed session meeting to discuss the vacancy. continued . . .